Mold, Fungus and Microbial Growth – Mold is Everywhere!
Mold is not necessarily our enemy. It is nature’s mechanism that breaks down organic material so it can be used and absorbed elsewhere. Many molds are useful to us, such as those used to process certain cheeses, develop antibiotics, and more.
When does it become a problem?
The problem arises when we find excessive mold growth in our indoor environments as a result of water infiltration. While molds are found in cheeses and antibiotics, they are also found in the air and can enter your home through open windows, as well as AC and heating systems. They can even be brought in on clothing and pets. Once mold spores have found an optimum environment with moisture to feed them, they can spread through your home or any structure in as little as 48-72 hours, causing structural damage and health risks to those who inhabit or visit the affected space.
How do you know if you have a mold problem?
The symptoms of a mold problem can range from obvious mold sightings to subtle discolorations. Evidence of mold infestation include:
- Discolored walls or ceilings.
- Visible mold growth.
- A musty, earthy smell, or an offensive odor.
- Water damage present in the building.
But, it doesn’t stop there. Health symptoms are also risks posed by a mold infestation and can include:
- Runny, stuffy noses
- Irritated breathing conditions (i.e. asthmatic reactions)
- Lung infections
- Skin irritation
For those suffering from a suppressed immune system, mold infections in the lungs can be more severe and even dangerous.
What can you do to mitigate the problem until help arrives?
If you are facing a mold problem, there are a few definitive do’s and don’ts to implement as you’re waiting for help to arrive. First, be sure to turn off all AC’s and heating systems in the home. Next, turn off all fans as these will often spread mold throughout the home quicker. Next, stay away from the infected areas and be sure not to touch the mold, blow on it, or try to treat it with household cleaning products.
Why call a professional?
While some property owners will try to treat the mold with household cleaning products or spray bleach, the truth is that these methods often only spread the mold to other areas of the home. What’s worse, AC and heating systems will spread the spores throughout the home through the air. Suffice to say, from the first signs of mold, the problem can advance quickly and the problem cannot be helped — but can be worsened — by store-bought or home-made products and treatment procedures.
A certified technician will know how to locate any mold spores, contain them, and eradicate them, all while ensuring they aren’t spread via air or human activity.
How Can Certified Jenkins Environmental’s Mold-Removal Technicians Help?
Instead of household cleaning products, you need specialized mold-removal equipment and techniques. You need a certified technician who will know how to locate any mold spores, contain them, and eradicate them, all while ensuring they aren’t being spread through the air or even human activity.
Our certified Jenkins Environmental technician will bring in specialized equipment, such as negative air chambers, that can contain the spores, and specialized air filtration equipment to remove any spores from the air.
We will also identify any surfaces that have been affected by the mold and treat them with anti fungal and antimicrobial products that are most effectively able to thoroughly remove mold spores for good. In addition to treating the affected surfaces, we will identify and remove any materials that are deeply affected by the mold.
Don’t Let Damage Mount. Call a Jenkins Environmental Mold-Removal Technician.
The goal of a proper mold remediation plan is to completely satisfy the requirements of a credentialed cleaning standard then pass any corresponding clearance test. Jenkins Environmental’ objective is to remove the source/active growth and to manage and reduce any spore count.
Although there are few federal or state laws that regulate mold remediation, there are many credentialing bodies and guidelines. Among these is the IICRC, a leader in credentialing. The IICRC S520, EPA Mold in Schools and Commercial Buildings, and the New York City Department of Health guidelines stand out as guiding documents in mold-removal standards.
Jenkins Environmental Services Technicians are IICRC certified and have received hours of training in specific procedures for mold remediation. Each technician has spent many hours studying, reviewing, and applying these guiding documents.
In addition, Jenkins Environmental Services always works closely with the independent Indoor Environmental Professional that is providing protocol and clearance on any mold remediation project.
Our #1 goal is to protect you from any risks mold can pose and return your building to a safe and clean state. Let us help you.