It is almost inevitable to have mold issues after a flood because standing water is an excellent breeding ground for it. Mold growth in your home can cause moderate to severe health issues. They produce a substance called mycotoxins that can lead to severe itching, asthma attacks, other respiratory problems, and may even be fatal. Therefore, it is important that you deal with the mold problem in your home as soon as possible.
One of the first and most obvious things you should do is make sure that there’s no more water in the affected areas. Soak out or pump out any water you notice. If you’re in an area with a potential electrical current, such as the basement, call emergency workers for help.
From there, make sure you seal off the water damaged areas to contain the potential mold growth that may occur. You can then check the room thoroughly for clear signs of mold growth. Mold likes to grow behind wallpaper, around tiles, crawlspaces, carpeting, or anywhere dark and damp.
If you do find mold growth, you should contact a specialist right away for removal.
Clean it up
Pull any large, waterlogged items out of the room and into an area such as the garage or driveway to dry out. Next you’re going to want a wet vac or a shop vac to get the water out of carpets. Make sure that you don’t use a regular vacuum cleaner! Remove your baseboards and moldings temporarily to allow waterlogged walls to dry.
Keep it dry
After the clean-up, make sure the area has plenty of air flowing through it. You might want to run a dehumidifier in the room for a while to help keep the dampness down. Keep an eye on the water damaged area and make sure that there isn’t any mold growing.
Ultimately, depending on the scope of the water damage, you’re usually going to be better off allowing a certified company handle clean up. They can both help avoid mold, and take care of removal promptly if it’s found.